In 1492, something else happened besides Columbus sailing the ocean blue, namely, that the most notorious pope EVER ascended to the Chair of Peter. This week it's the guy who typically tops the list of every rundown of the so-called “Bad Popes”, and who was described by contemporary historian as “more evil and more lucky than perhaps any pope before him”.
SUPPORT THE POPECAST: patreon.com/mattsewell
- Letter of Pope Pius II rebuking Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia
- Inter Caetara (papal bull granting Spain exclusive rights to colonize and explore the New World)
- Pope Alexander VI (Popes in a Year - Flocknote)
- Pope Alexander VI (Wikipedia)
- Pope Alexander VI (Catholic Encyclopedia)